Thursday, March 26, 2015

God's measuring cup.

"My name is Mark.

When you look at me,
You will measure me
...by my awareness
...by my response
...by my age,
...by my development
And you will shake your head
and find me lacking.

But, for me, you are measuring
With the wrong cup.
For I have one possession
Which brims and overflows
Beyond all others.

I have my parents’ love.

This cup they give me holds also their
...agony and helplessness
...waiting and hoping
...tears and pain
...aloneness and fear.

But in the end, all these are swallowed up
in the deepness of their love
Which now, in each same moment,
Both lets me go
And will never let me go.

So measure me, if you must...
But measure me, too, with my cup
And you will find me Full.”
from Go Out In Joy! by Nina Herrmann Donnelley, Atlanta: John Knox Press, 1977.

I know I've already posted this poem (here) with different verses it reminded me of.  I had always thought of my older more challenged son when I read this poem but recently God gave me a reminder to not judge myself or my younger son by other standards but His.  Yes, ADHD makes it harder to fit in to behavioral standards.  People don't give much lead-way for ADHD or Asperger's like people do for more obvious disabilities such as intellectual disability, down syndrome, and more severe autism.  Does this mean I should not hold my son accountable?  No, but I should recognize that his efforts at self control and self discipline.  God doesn't measure by how well he fits in. The Lord set his children apart.  The goal of child training is not conformity to behavioral standards.

For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.
Deut 14:2

So what was this reminder?  A virtual friend in the Christian ADHD group posted about applying the Widow's Mite (Luke 21:1-4)  to self control and self discipline.  I used to feel conflicted and/or judged for offering so much grace to my son and rewarding his efforts so freely.  I wrote about how teaching my son Proverb 25:28 just made him cry because he couldn't meet his goals.  No one is harder on my youngest son than himself.  I don't need to add to it.  So to think of this verse in a new light is freedom. 

And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:  For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.
Luke 21:3-4







1 comment:

  1. This brought my heart freedom this morning! What a beautiful way to view and apply that object lesson, of the two mites. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

and now we hear from you...