Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gluten Free Pancakes

I've been experimenting with gluten free pancakes.  This is my way to get more nutritious flours into my boys diets.  Gluten free flours tend to have more protein in them.  However, the flours don't behave as I'm used to.  Thus far all the gluten free pancakes I've made stick more than regular.  Have some oil at the ready.

Pamela's Pancakes were a hit.  this is the mix my chiropractor recommended.  These are light but substantial with the almond meal in them.  Everyone including my super taster husband liked them. 

However, the following week we were out of mix and eggs.  So I made some from scratch with an egg-less recipe and Bob's Red Mill gluten all purpose flour.  I purchased one package and have it on hand but now that I see I can order a case (6 pounds) online, I might do that.  The egg-less butternut squash pancakes were easy to double up and make enough for the week, which were gone in three days since they tasted good.  This flour has Sourghum in it which sucks the moisture out of everything.  I needed a lot more oil in the pan.  I liked the taste.  I'm a big fan of Sorghum. 

Next I tried Sweet Potato Pancakes with Bisquick Gluten Free Baking mix.  These pancakes were actually the waffle recipe (from the box) gone bad.  The waffles were too soft to get out of my waffle maker so I quit and made it all into pancakes. This mix is all brown rice flour or rice flour.  It's very tender and soft.  Very fluffy pancakes.  This mix would probably work well for muffins.  I'm not a fan of overly soft pancakes so it's not my pick.  There are some recipes on the website which I'll have to check out since I have just a small amount left.


Today I'm making Spiced Pancakes with King Arthur's baking mix. I'm adding cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and molasses.  It's almost gingerbread but I'm out of fresh ginger and don't keep ground ginger on hand due to caking.

For some extra Vitamin C this cold season, beta carotene for good vision,  and a good source of fiber just add 3/4 of butternut squash puree or pumpkin or sweet potato to you favorite pancake recipe.


Merry Christmas!





No comments:

Post a Comment

and now we hear from you...