Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Measuring cup: A metaphor for life experience

"My name is Mark.

When you look at me,
You will measure me
...by my awareness
...by my response
...by my age,
...by my development
And you will shake your head
and find me lacking.

But, for me, you are measuring
With the wrong cup.
For I have one possession
Which brims and overflows
Beyond all others.

I have my parents’ love.

This cup they give me holds also their
...agony and helplessness
...waiting and hoping
...tears and pain
...aloneness and fear.

But in the end, all these are swallowed up
in the deepness of their love
Which now, in each same moment,
Both lets me go
And will never let me go.

So measure me, if you must...
But measure me, too, with my cup
And you will find me Full.”


from Go Out In Joy! by Nina Herrmann Donnelley, Atlanta: John Knox Press, 1977.

I was over at The Browning Beat and Charrissa's poem, An Extra Leaf, reminded me of this poem. I first read this poem in the Infant Stim Newsletter this past April. My son was well past his infant program days when I was given the task of being his Mommy but this poem is no less true today. He will soon embark upon high school next fall as a 14 year old freshman. The cup I give him holds my love. The cup holds my agony that others will not see the potential that I see and the helplessness because I cannot make them see if they are blind. The cup holds my years of waiting for goals achieved and hoping in expectation (not in wishful thinking) for the brighter future. The cup holds my years of past aloneness and fears that the summer time would bring. The cup holds my salvation, healing, devotion, and faith. My son's cup runneth over. His experience (and mine) is a full one that I wish other people would take his lead and live their lives to the fullest and not let the cup pass them by. We are blessed. Congratulations to my son who is graduating from Middle School in a few weeks!

A Psalm of David.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his
name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I
will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they
comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine
enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in
the house of the LORD for ever.
Psalm 23
And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my
Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I
will, but as thou wilt.
Matthew 26:39

NOTE: imported from My Domestic Experiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

and now we hear from you...